The Institute of Mental Health (IMH) and the Department of Psychiatry at the University of British Columbia are now inviting applications for a new series of Scholar and Fellow awards – the Marshall Scholars and Fellows Program in Mental Health, to specifically support the training of young investigators in translational research.
The program will fund stipends for up to 4 Fellows ($75,000 per year) and 15 Scholars ($25,000 per year) for up to 2 years.
“The idea of investing in promising young scholars who will contribute to advancing understanding and treatment of psychiatric disorders was inspired by Sunny and Stewart Marshall’s vision, and therefore, we would like to take this opportunity to thank Sunny and Stewart for their support, dedication, and commitment to advance mental health research.”
Dr. Lakshmi N. Yatham, Professor and Head, UBC Department of Psychiatry
- Applicants for Fellowship awards must have a MD or PhD; and applicants for Scholar awards must have an undergraduate degree and be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a Masters or doctoral level degree program (e.g., MSc, PhD).
- Applicants for Scholar awards must have Canadian citizenship or hold Permanent Resident status in Canada.
- Applicants must have a supervisor or a co-supervisor identified at UBC with an established track-record in grant funding and peer reviewed publications.
- The research work proposed must be conducted at UBC.
- Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2019, no later than 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time.
- Funding is for a stipend only ($75,000 per year for Fellows and $25,000 per year for Scholars). An additional $ 5,000 will be available for each awardee for conference travel. Applicants can choose to apply for one or two years of funding. Note that the IMH does not pay institutional overhead on the Scholars and Fellows Program.
- Award approval notifications will be mailed in June 2019. Earliest award start date is July 1, 2019.
Applications for the 2019 awards are now open!
The application form, and further information and guidelines are available here – https://med-fom-psychiatry.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2019/02/attached.pdf
The complete application package must be submitted electronically to Corinne Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the deadline (March 31, 2019 no later than 4:30 pm, Pacific Time).
If you have questions or require further information regarding these awards, please contact Vicky Yau, Director, Administration, at email@example.com.